Towns and Villages

//Towns and Villages

How Grahamstown got its name

John Graham was born on the 24th July 1778 in Dundee Scotland. He was a British officer and the second son of Robert Graham, the last laird of the Fintry demesne and twelfth representative of the Grahams of Fintry in Forfarshire, north of Glasgow, and his wife, Peggy Milne. His old and noble family was descended from the first Duke of Montrose, and, originally, from Sir William Grame, laird of Kincardine in the early fifteenth century. As a lieutenant aged sixteen, he joined the 90th Regiment, which had been raised in 1794 by his kinsman, Thomas Graham, of Balgowan (the later Lord Lynedoch). In 1795 he left, at the head of a detachment, for an Island on the French coast, but poor health caused his return to Britain in 1796. Later he served under Colonel Graham, of Balgowan, and in 1799 went to Toulon with Earl Hood's expedition. In the same year he was appointed aide-de-camp to the Earl of Chatham, [...]

How Grahamstown got its name2018-10-16T12:28:12+00:00

The History of Maitland

Base Calvary Camp at Maitland where the Calvary were sent on arrival to retrieve their horses after the voyage. The first recorded grant of a section of land in the Maitland area was made during the first decades of the British colonial occupation at the Cape. The farm, named ‘Varsche Vallei’ was a loan farm granted by the then-Governor of the Cape, Lord Charles Somerset to M.J. La Cock at 30 rixdollars per annum. The farm covered 826 morgen and encompassed the area now known as Wingfield. [De Vries, 1991] The well-known fossil of the extinct Cape zebra, Equus capensis was found in 1909 embedded in the sandy limestone of the area. It apparently derived from a former land deposit now lying below sea-level and presumably of the Middle or Upper Pleistocene age. Did you know? The town was named after Sir Peregrine Maitland, Governor of the Cape (1844—47) It was proclaimed a separate municipality in 1902, but was [...]

The History of Maitland2018-10-16T12:50:17+00:00

Claremont Then and Now

Claremont Station circa 1900 Claremont is a residential suburb in the municipality of Cape Town, within the magisterial district of Wynberg. It lies 9.6 km south of Cape Town between Newlands and Kenilworth. The village started forming in the 1830s on the Main Road around what was essentially a farming area. The community flourished, and with the opening of the railway line from Cape Town to Wynberg in 1864, Claremont developed even further. Arderne Gardens, now a public park of 4 hectares, was originally planted by R. H. Arderne in 1845 as part of his estate, The Hill. He, and later his son, H. M. Arderne developed a fine collection of exotic trees, often with the help of the director of Kew Gardens in London. British astronomer, Sir John Herschel, who resided at the Cape from 1834 to 1838, lived and made astronomical observations at Feldhausen in Claremont. After four years of concentrated effort he completed his survey and returned [...]

Claremont Then and Now2018-10-16T12:50:17+00:00

Clanwilliam History

This section of my website has been create to promote and bring an awareness to the historical value of  the town Clanwilliam, This is aimed at the forgotten people in the Cederberg with references to deaths, burials, farm graves, farm names and historical properties as well as any scandalous events you may know of.  This is an ongoing project. Anyone willing to contribute can contact me. Clanwilliam is a Principal town of the magisterial district and division of the Cedarberg Municipality, situated at the foot of the Cedarberg Range where the Jan Dissels River flows into the broad Olifants River, 232 km by the national road from Cape Town and 35 km from the nearest railway station, Graafwater. Clanwilliam, formerly Jan Disselsvlei (after Jan Dissel, a botanist who lived 'at the Rhenosterbosch along the Piquetberg Mountains'), celebrated its 150 th anniversary in Sept. 1964. The district originally formed part of the district of Stellenbosch. On 1 February I808 the Earl of [...]

Clanwilliam History2018-10-16T12:28:16+00:00