The National Archives of Cape Town has indexed thousands of Civil Marriages from the HAWC – Home Affairs Western Cape Registry. Please note these these are indexes only and they still need to be manually retrieved and copies made thereof. Should you require copies of any of these marriage certificates please contact me for a quotation.
Please note that Civil marriages are marriags that took place in a Magistrates Court and not in religous building.
1. go to the website of the National Archives http://www.national.archives.gov.za
2. then choose the option Search National Automated Archival Retrieval System
3. then choose the KAB option for the Cape Town Archives Database
4. enter only one of the spouses surnames in one line and the next line just the letter HAWC and click enter5. your next screen will look like this – then click on the text “result summary”6. once you have clicked on the result summary your next screen will give you the list of records
7. then click on the desired entry and this is what your next screen will displayShould you want a copy of this document you can either contact the Archives but I can tell you that they are overworked and short staffed and will refer you to a private researcher like me